02 October, 2011

Overusing the word "Interesting" and some Ultimate

In the last two days I've met people from: Canada, Switzerland, Belarus, Estonia, Germany, France, Ireland, Spain, England, New Zeeland, Norway, Greece, Iran, and I can't remember the rest.  The best part is they all are part of St. Hilda's (my college).  Which means I get to hear all about what they're studying and where they're from.  Too cool.

I've found that I'm introducing myself as from Michigan now, rather than from the U.S.  If I say I'm from the U.S., everyone will immediately ask the follow-up question of which state: seemingly everyone knows U.S. geography. It's ridiculous because I'm sure if they said which region they're from, there's a high probability of me not knowing it.  Sigh. Time to work on my embarrassing lack of world geography knowledge. Thank you, U.S. school system.

Anyways, next week is Naught Week (0 week). Shout out to K Collegers: they number the weeks here, too!  I'd prefer to name it Week of Death, as there are an impossible amount of orientation events I should attend.  Tomorrow I go from 9:30 to 9:00 at night.  I plan to play cricket next weekend, and there's a formal dinner on Tuesday, where I meet my advisor.  She's a psychologist who does research on whether intervention in math in elementary and middle school actually results in improved educational outcomes.  I feel like I use "interesting" every other word these days. I need some more diverse adjectives when I find out what ridiculously cool subject someone's studying or the fascinating country that they're from.

I did indeed find the Ultimate Frisbee team! I played pick-up today.  They run vert stack all the time, and rely on an influx of American Ultimate enthusiasts to fill out their squads, so I'll be playing co-ed, indoor, and womens, hopefully.  They play in gyms for indoor season rather than on astro turf. Thank you Ultimate for immediately giving me a community of cool people and a great way to get a workout wherever I go.

More after this week slows down; get ready for the upcoming "It Made Sense in the 1200's" post, and an account of harrowing biking through narrow 12th century streets while almost getting mowed down by double decker buses (this will happen tomorrow).

Cheers! (I am not sure anyone says that here; I have yet to hear it).

LP

No comments:

Post a Comment