27 September, 2011

Off to London...

Hi all!

I'm currently sitting in the Toronto airport (reasons Canada > U.S. = better tickets to London), where my parents dumped me off at about 1:30. We just spent two days as exploring Toronto as a last-weekend-on-the-continent vacation.  Already had embarrassing public breakdown, ate some pretzels, got over breakdown, check, check, check.

Currently, the adventurous part of the journey will be getting from Gatwick Airport to Oxford (2.5 hours away).  Plus side: there's a bus! Down side: I'm carrying one roller suitcase, one backpacking backpack, one regular backpack, a purse, and.... a bike.  And I may have packed my luggage up to the weight limit. Somehow I will walk through customs with all of this stuff, and then walk from the Oxford bus stop to my new apartment with all of this stuff, which is a hike.  I am trying to remind myself that I love exercise and arm workouts and looking publicly awkward and such.

Anyways, here's a short convenient bullet list of what I'm doing in England:
  • I'm in the Master's of Education (Learning and Technology) Programme at Oxford University
  • It's a one-year program, with a dissertation due next July
  • I am in St. Hilda's College at Oxford, and have a three-bedroom apartment through the college.
  • Oxford is about a 30 minute train ride from London. 
  • There are two tea breaks scheduled into my first day of orientation. Two! (insert incredulous expression). 
  • Yes, they have an ultimate frisbee team.  I know you were wondering that. 
Questions?

I get to London at 10 tomorrow morning, which is 5 a.m. Michigan time.  Nothing like sleep-walking through customs, right? I have orientation starting on Thursday. I'm going to try to update this blog regularly, which shouldn't be real hard since I've been writing-deprived for a year.  Will post pictures when I get there.  Miss you all!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment